Thursday, September 8, 2011

Movie Review: "Warrior"


The ladies over at Cosmo told me that when you're in a relationship, you have to see movies you wouldn't normally have any interest in. Apparently it's called COMPROMISE. The brains behind "Top 5 Ways to Make Your Guy FILLINTHEBLANK ADJECTIVE/VERB", cannot be wrong.

So when my guy (I hate when people say that), a lover of all things UFC, planned a date night that revolved around a sneak peek of "WARRIOR", I figured sitting through 2 hours of Tom Hardy delicisousness was a small ask (especially if it gets me out of ever having to attend/watch an actual UFC fight).

So for anyone considering/getting dragged to this cinematic gem, here's a review:

1) Tom Hardy. Meathead guys have never been my thing, but good Lord, he's somethin'.


2) Nick Nolte. It's not quite "The Wrestler" (thanks, Mickey Rourke), but it's a pretty powerful performance. He plays a recovering alcoholic/deadbeat dad trying to make a comeback of sorts in his son's lives. Based on what we know about Nick Nolte the man, I think it's safe to say that he may have been drawing from some personal experience.



3) Jennifer Morrison. Loved her on "House". Loved her here. Yes, she plays the requisite Adrian to Joel Edgerton's Rocky. Her job is mainly to smile & look concerned. But she does it convincingly.


4) The final fight (spoiler alert: the brothers end up fighting each other. This "twist" is obvious from not only the trailer, but also within the first 7 minutes, so don't be angry). You feel the years of pain with every look. Every brutal punch. Normally it's tough for me to watch fighting of any kind. However in this particular instance, I found myself so caught up in the emotion of it, the violence was secondary.


What I could have done without:

1) The excessive fighting. Round after round of bloody, brutal face beating. And shoulder popping. And head butting. I don't get why people want to beat each other up for sport. Don't tell me it's a talent. Monkeys can throw punches.

2) Jennifer Morrison's Wardrobe. There is no love scene (sor), but she seems to only have hot pants & undies in her closest. I know her character is on a budget & all, but she's a mom. Put some pants on.

3) Cheesey dialog. The line "I love you, Tommy", might have been uttered mid-wrestle. YEP.

Final review: 2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment